"As a child, I remember this soup being served for supper after midnight Mass every Christmas Eve. The extended Family would gather at my parent's home and we would have a feast. This soup somehow made the occasion extra special for me. A spicy chicken soup - Taste like curry but watery like soup." -Chef Quentin Pereira, excerpt from Eurasian Heritage Cooking
Ingredients to prepare:
- Cooking Oil 2 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Ginger 1tbsp
- Finely Chopped Garlic 1tbsp
- Onion 1, peeled and finely sliced
- Bay Leaves 2
- Quentin's Mulligatawny Rempah powered Premix 4 tbsp
- Light Soya Sauce 2 tbsp
- Chicken Stock Cubes 2
- Green Apple 1, skinned cored and cubed
- Tomatoes 2, Chopped
- Water 1 Litre (3fl oz / 4 cups)
- Boneless Chicken Breast 300g, (11 oz)
- Spring Onion (Scallion) 1, Chopped
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) 1 sprig, chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add ginger, garlic, onion. Stir-fry until garlic starts to brown.
- Add bay leaves, Quentins Mulligatawny Rempah Powder Premix, soy sauce, chicken stock cubes, green apple and tomatoes. Mix well and add water.
- Let soup simmer, then add chicken. Cover pot with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove Chicken from pot and leave to cool slightly before shredding.
- Leave soup to boil until apple starts to soften. Return shredded chicken to pot and boil for another 5 minutes. Before removing from heat.
- Dish out and garnish with spring onion and coriander. Serve hot.
- To help the chicken cool more quickly for shredding, place it in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain well before shredding.